Thursday, January 20, 2011

Don't this way

Last night was a beautiful cold clear night. The moon was full, so I decided to go out and do a little moon gazing. So, I busted out the binoculars and went outside to see the moon. The view thru my binoculars was amazing even if a little bright. I spent some time looking at the Lunar Mare and ray systems of various craters (not just Tycho). Eventualy I decided I would bust out the Telescope and do a little stargazing even with the light pollution of the city and the full moon. Being very new to this I just did simple things starting with Orion I looked at Betelgeuse then on to Canis major and Sirius before deciding to go for M42. I was actually a little suprised at how easy it was to see the Orion Nebula even with the full moon. I guess I will have to try again on a clear moonless night. It should be even more amazing.

No comments: