Wednesday, December 13, 2006

This years winner...

for most traumatic holiday ad campaign goes to the diamond commercial with the man and woman laying in bed. he sneeks off and gets her gift then places a diamond necklace around her neck and pretends to be sleeping. she wakes up and its all love and kisses. They gained bonus points for the devastating song in the background. funny how such a simple song can reach in and crush you.

Speaking of songs and there ability to elicite emotion, Last night I woke up at midnight with a start. I had a song running around in my head. It is so rare that I dream music. its been years. It was a sad and beautiful song, sung by a woman then a man accompanied by a piano. I wish I could remember the words. Or remember where or if I heard it before. needless to say I laid awake for several hours with this melody running around my head.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That commercial fucks my shit up... that and the rice crispy treat one with "somewhere over the rainbow" by big hawaiian dude. Fucking christmas.
Who sings that diamond song anyway?

Fallen said...

"How Can I Tell You" was originally recorded by Cat Stevens and released on the 1971 album titled "teaser and the firecat" I believe it is performed in the commercial by Chan Marshall of Cat Power but as far as I know is not released on a record. Cd or otherwise. By the way the big hawaiian dude is Israel Kamakawiwo'ole.

Anonymous said...

I know his name, but you know I have never been able to pronounce it. Thanks for the info on the other song.
BTW, who were the drunk/screamy/yelly/singing Irish guys? I know you know who I am talking about....

Fallen said...

I thought that might be you but the "anonymous" made me wonder. Of course I know who you mean, "the Pogues" are the best drunk/screamy/yelly/singing Irish guys I have ever heard. Shane Mcgowan was a beautiful poet and a drunk.

Fallen said...

"It was christmas eve babe
--in the drunk tank" c'mon every one sing along.

Anonymous said...

I have Cat Steven's "Majikat" Concert DVD from 1976 if anyone wants to watch it...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's me. Even with anonymity you know me. Thanks for the info. Please have an ok christmas