Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The beauty of indeterminance or wrestling with mountains

First I must say I made this last night for dinner and it was not enough, so make extra because you will want more.
This recipe is designed to be flexed to your individual taste...

GRILLED SHRIMP WITH CILANTRO SALSA
bamboo skewers soaked to avoid burning.
2 lbs Shrimp

CILANTRO SALSA
1 cup washed and chopped cilantro leaves
2 cloves garlic peeled and lightly smashed
1 seeded veined and coarse chopped habanero
(or jalapeno, chipotle, crushed red pepper etc.
just try to use your favorite heat source.)
1 tbsp peeled and coarsly chopped ginger
1/4 cup olive oil
1-2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice.
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients except the lime juice, salt and pepper in blender and pulse till well mixed.
For a thicker sauce add Lime juice and emulsify then salt and pepper to taste. This is great for basting on the grill. It should stay in place.
For a thinner "dipping sauce" stir in the lime juice until you reach the desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.

I like to heap these in a pile on a serving plate and drizzle with a little dipping sauce then get out of the way and just let people go for it. Get ready for smiles because this on is a winner.
Serve with a crisp seasonal summer beer and extra dipping sauce
Dont forget bowls for tails and napkins for hands and faces.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh... cooking dinner, you must be liking someone! So I got the memo on Rae's wedding date, how you feeling about that? Kinda freaks me out, although I am not sure why.

Fallen said...

I cooked this dinner for myself and myself alone... not that I would mind sharing it with someone but sadly that has been and continues to be unavailable to me.
The last girl I took out was something of a forgetable douchebag (her words, not mine).
I think maybe I'm looking for someone a little less self deprecating or maybe with just a little self esteem.
Its not that I'm not interested. There are lots of beautiful women out there. But I have high expectations and would rather be single than just go for the next thing that comes along.
I need spiritual connection not convenience. I have not found that again yet. And so I continue to wait for the next amazing girl to turn my world upside down.
Maybe, just maybe, I won't fuck it up this time?

Rae's wedding? well the date, time and situation keep flexing (funny huh?).
I am a mess with conflicting emotions including a deep sadness. But it all boils down to the fact that I am trying to be happy for her. And I am. She has found someone who makes her happy regardless of and perhaps in spite of my personal paranoia.
I am glad my own experiences have not put her "off" on the idea. I hope and pray for her continued happiness.
But yes, meanwhile, I am freakin' out. Don't tell her though... Even though she can probably tell.