Saturday, June 16, 2007

"Before they told me I could not fly I had wings and touched the sky"

The brilliantly difficult work of cult filmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky is now available for the masses. I found this boxed set the other day and knew I had to have it.

Alejandro Jodorowsky born February 7, 1929, in Chile, and has achieved fame/notoriety/cult status as a director for EL TOPO (the mole) and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN. He is also a playwright, composer, mime, comics author and lately a psychotherapist focusing on Psychomagic, a blend of eastern philosophy and mysticism using symbolic acts to heal old emotional conflicts.
His heritage is as confusing/complex as his films. His parents were Ashkenazi Jews (Jews of medieval German descent) of Russian origin. He became a Mexican citizen in 1973 and a French citizen at some later point.



Known for his heavy symbolism his films are a mix of powerful imagery at times mystical, nonsensical, violent, brutal, beautiful, sexual, sad and disturbing.
AND NOW TO THE MOVIES:



La Cravate (1957)
A commentary on soul hiding inside a head swapping story told in mime.
Considered lost for years then apparently found in an attic. The film has been beautifuly restored, I absolutely loved the color. Having never seen it before, I found it light hearted and whimsical if there is such a thing for Mr. Jodorowsky.

Fando y Lis (1967)
The symbolic journey of Fando and his paraplegic girlfriend Lis to the fabled city of Tar caused a riot in Aculpulco and was banned in Mexico by the government. Left me with a feeling of dissatisfaction, searching and abandonment.




El Topo (1970)
The infamous mystical nonwestern brought to the U.S. by John Lennon, Yoko Ono and Allen Klein. A vivid and violence filled spiritual journey told in two parts that I feel form a circle and we begin again at the end.



The Holy Mountain (1973)
Financed in its entirety by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. Hidden inside all sorts of spiritual imagery is I believe a statement about the trappings of enlightenment being a falsehood and real Illumination is reality and nothing like we expect.


The following are not in the set but I hope to aqcuire/see soon
Tusk (1978)
Santa Sangre (1989)
The Rainbow Thief (1990)
King Shot (TBA)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think my head just exploded remembering this movie.

Fallen said...

Hello again... Yes El Topo is a difficult movie. I think the first time I watched it I had an aneurysm.
But I do think if you look, hiding inside all the freak out weirdness, you see a beautiful story of redemption.
A child is abandoned by a father. The later reunion with the father. A new child is born and the cycle begins again.