Thursday, January 25, 2007

Landlocked in bodies that don't keep

So, I have been attending the U.S. Figure Skating Championships here in Spokane... and it seems to me that first hand and formost the problem with this sport lies in the judging.

Watching the championship pairs short program last night it seemed clear that the judges had favorites. At the end of the night the pair in first (Rena Inoue and John Baldwin with a stunning 62.73 points. Highlight: throw triple axel, error: she steped out.) was the one that had delivered the dryest performance of them all. It also appeaed to my novice eyes that they were not "technicaly" more proficient either. The second place pair (Naomi Nari Nam and Themi Leftheris ended up 1/2 a point behind, Highlight: throw triple loop) delivered a much more passionate performance to a wonderful tango track. The crowd actually booed the judges. And in by far my favorite performance of the night and obviously the one the crowd liked the most (BrookeCastile and Ben Okolski landed a giant triple twist) they placed a lowly third. I guess everyone performed/skated really well and as I am no expert, I am left to trust the judges, but it just seemed a little shystey/suspect/fishy to me.

I may have more to say after the pairs finals on friday and/or the ladies finals on saturday but I doubt it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm, figure skating? Seriously?
I'm thinking either someone roped you in to this or you are doing it to get on someone's good side.
Or maybe I just live in the twilight zone now where you attend figure skating and Valentine's is the same day as my birthday.
If you have the answer to this, do let me know...

Fallen said...

Yes, figure skating. No, no rope involved. There would also have to be another person involved to find someones good side. Today I will be leaving work at noon to attend the championship pairs finals. Alone, as in by myself.
As to were you have decided to live? I don't really have a good answer for that but we both know that Valentine's is not your birthday.
This really shouldn't confuse you. Don't think of it as figure skating, think of it as olympic level competition that I had the opportunity to attend. If we would have had the chance and the $ back in the day are you saying you wouldn't have wanted to go?

Anonymous said...

I probably would have gone, but not really my gig. I would rather watch a ballroom competition, although I guess it's basically the same thing but on ice.
I don't know it just strikes me as odd that you are so religiously attending this.
Believe it or not I do understand the concept of on one's own, but thanks for breaking it down for me.
Enjoy the finals.

Fallen said...

Sorry, didn't mean to step on any toes. Do I earn some more "man points" if I tell you I'm going to the vip preview of the international car show?